Garden tips for this week | Home & Garden
- Enjoy locally-grown fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Dig and divide garden lilies when the foliage yellows.
- Watch for wasps when working near rock piles, old tree stumps and stone walls.
- Harvest cantaloupe when the stem separates from the fruit with gentle prodding.
- Cut down stems of hollyhocks if rust-colored spots appear on the underside of leaves.
- Plant a cover crop of winter rye in spaces vacated by harvested vegetable crops.
- Weed the garden before weeds go to seed.
- Don’t bruise tree trunks with lawn mower or string trimmers.
- Donate extra produce from your garden to a hunger center.